Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I Remember...


I have been walking with a mom from my neighborhood who has a three year old little boy.  I look at him and I so clearly remember what life was like with little boys in the house.  Sometimes it hurts just to be around him because I so very much miss some of those three year old ways.  Here is what he has helped me remember…

The fun of Thomas the Train

The belief that everything is good and wonderfully made

Absolute trust in everyone and everything around you

Mischievious smiles and big eyes when thinking of doing something you know you shouldn’t be doing.

The ability to cry and carry on when the world does not go your way

The joy of bugs, dirt, blades of grass, and running free

The magic found in new places, especially a woods

The joy of treasures found along the ground

The mystery of street signs and having to remember their words to read them

Little legs that need to run away from you, only to turn around and run back to you once the distance has gotten too far.

Stroller chatter about every little thing my adult eyes miss along the way

Diaper butts and little shoes with Velcro straps

T-shirts with trucks and cargo sweatpants

The love of trains, the fascination of big trucks, and the envy of people who drive garbage trucks and street sweepers

The beauty of naptime

How looking back at something can seem so magical and wonderful, but the reality of living through that same thing is exhausting and challenging


No comments:

Post a Comment